- ABOUT ZHANJIANG
- MEDIA CENTER
- DOING BUSINESS
- IN FOCUS
The former site of the French Legation is located on Haibin First Road, Xiashan district, Zhanjiang city. Built in 1903, it used to be the highest governing body in Kwangchowan, the leased territory of France.
It is a three-story concrete building (including the basement), with a total floor area of 1,902 square meters. The first floor is built as a basement, and there is a clock tower above the third floor. In front of the entrance gate, an arc-shaped stairway directly leads to the second floor; and there is a small arc-shaped stairway on either side of the main gate.
In front of the second floor and the third floor are European styled porches with railings. The rooms are spacious, and there are fireplaces, ornamental windows and doors inside. The whole construction is characterized by modern Western architectural style.
As evidence to Zhanjiang's 100-year-old history, the former site of the French Legation is an important patriotic education base where the young people could learn about the modern and contemporary history of China. In 1986 it was established as a historical relic under the protection of Zhanjiang city. In 2000, it became a historical relic under the protection of Guangdong Province and in May 2013, it was listed as one of the key historical relics under the protection of the State Council.
Address: Haibin First Road, Xiashan district, Zhanjiang city
How to Get There: Take Bus No 2 or Bus No 12 and get off at Xiashan Stop.